Thursday, February 28, 2008

Interval Training

Little things matter. More often than not in our culture, it appears to be the big things that catch people’s eye. But I think that small is often more compelling than big. And in the sport of running, for your average person, nothing could be more true. What you eat. How much you sleep. Even the simple act of a short, disciplined, daily workout are all very small things. But together they are big.

Last Spring a friend gave me a book to read called Daniel’s Running Formula by Jack Daniels. The author had several excellent suggestions one being the importance of interval training. I’d practiced intervals on and off for several years. I hate doing intervals. They are hard work and I usually have to do them alone because I can’t convince my friends to do them with me. This is especially true in the winter—its cold, its dark, its tiring, its lonely. It’s awful!! But it’s a little thing.

A recent New York Times article (NYT Jan 31, 2008) noted, “One of the major determinants of endurance performance is oxygen consumption. You have to make training as intense as you can,” says Dr. Tanaka, a research physiologist from the University of Texas. The article went on to say that if you had to cut back on anything, cut back on volume, not intensity. Running with intensity is what intervals do. It’s a little thing. It’s the yeast in the dough of the sport of endurance running.

Last summer I determined to put Daniel’s ideas to the test. I’d flirted with breaking the illusive three-hour marathon barrier for several years. After doing intervals consistently for four months I did it at New York—2:59:16. I didn’t stop my intervals training, even in the off season, and ran several half marathons this winter, each time breaking my previous personal best and finally snapping the 1:20 barrier. Why? Because I’m a great runner? Nope. While my body does process oxygen and lactic acid better than some people, it is my opinion that it was really the intervals. And the results have been no little thing.

2 comments:

Bobby in Budapest said...

Dave, Are you kidding me? "Daniel's Running Techniques" by Jack Daniels! That sounds like a completely different subject than interval training. Are you sure you haven't been practicing some other training techniques to ease your pain and make it under 3 hours? :-)

Dave Miles said...

Bobby
Me and alcohol don't get along too well. Ask some of my running friends, they will tell you. But the irony of Jack Daniels being the name of the guy writing a book on running wasn't lost on me either. The book is great and I honestly think that it helped me break the three hour barrier. All winter I've been training with intervals, mostly alone because my friends don't like the cold. Can't say that I blame them (the rats!) oops. Well, I'm in the middle of Boston training--right in the thick of it. Hoping to break 2:55.
dave