Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lord, Save us from your Followers

I recently watched a film called, “Lord save us from your followers.” (http://lordsaveusthemovie.com) Since I am a follower of Jesus I thought it would be interesting to see why some felt they needed to be saved from the likes of me. It was a stunning look at the negative side of religion, particularly conservative evangelical religion, in America. What was most disturbing was that the message of Jesus has been lost in all the verbal cannon fire coming from the right and the left. It reminded me of a book I recently read called unChristian by David Kinnamon. The book, and frankly this movie, have put words to my feelings. For the last three or four years my frustration with evangelical religion has been on the increase. And frankly, I’m frustrated with myself! Have I loved the poor, the hurting, the wounded, the gay and straight, the atheist and the religious fanatics the same? No way. I’ve walked away and smirked like many others when two guys have passed by holding hands. I’ve felt superior to the fundamentalist religious fanatics I’ve encountered on various occasions. I’ve ignored some painful aspects of our world community like AIDS in Africa or immigration here in the United States. I need to change.

I am not ashamed of what Jesus said. He spoke as much about hell as he did heaven. I’m definitely not ashamed of what Jesus did or his claims to be God. I’m not ashamed of the cross or the belief in the literal resurrection or the virgin birth. If people want to hate me for those beliefs, then fine. What I am ashamed of is the way we as his followers have portrayed ourselves. We are anti-everything. I can’t live like that. I won’t give up Jesus, faith in Jesus, his church, or what the New Testament calls the gospel. What I want to give up—and what I’ll encourage the churches I work with to give up—is this “head in the sand” mentality that has separated so many of us who are Christians from reality, and from others in society. What I hope I embrace is a greater willingness to love people by my actions and with my ears. I’ll to listen more and talk less. And then maybe when I’m more like Jesus, others will be more willing to consider Jesus. The movie is only available on line. It costs $6.99. But beware. If you are an evangelical, you probably won’t like it.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Gutsy post Dave! I suggest: http://www.streetprophets.com/

-Kevin

Dave Miles said...

Thanks Kevin. I'll check out the street prophets web site.
dm